Yes, actually you can save money grocery shopping if you go armed with a list and don’t stray from it! Or better yet send your other half to the store, especially if he or she doesn’t like to shop. Because all they want to do is get in and get out again.
- The list: Start your grocery list and add to itevery time you start to run low on something. You just opened the last carton of milk, add it to the list. You’re down to half a jar of mayonnaise, add it to the list. Coke, salad dressing whatever add it to the list.
When the list gets long enough to warrant going to the store do so.But stick to the list. If you see something at the store you want to buy, don’t, if it’s not on the list you must not have needed it that badly.
So now you get home and discover you are almost out of xyz, oh well, it’s the first thing on the new list.
It is a proven fact that if you stick to one grocery store, rather than chasing all over town, you will save money.
Reason: You are used to this store and you know the set-up. Also you won’t waste the gas.
- Buy the store brands; usually they are as good as the name brands. They are probably made by the name brand companies. Because they carry the store brand, they are cheaper. Try them at least once, if you do not like them, then don’t re-buy.
- This goes for soda pop as well. We drink coke, but it is so expensive. It is cheaper to buy the store brand. Some are almost as good and some are better. Let your taste-buds determine.
- Avoid at all cost the IMPULSE items at the check out stand.
A great way to penny-pinch, but don’t bother to cut out the coupon unless it is something that you will actually use. Don’t buy something just because you have a coupon for it. That is waste of time and money.
GROCERY DISCOUNT CARDS
Get and use those store discount cards, it may not save you much but every little bit helps.
Watch the local newspaper for the grocery ads, especially for meats, the BOGO’s (buy one, get one), 2fer’s, what ever you or they want to call them. Great penny pincher and a way stock up your freezer at the same time.
I can remember my other half telling me we were going to go broke saving all that money, but we didn’t go hungry. But double check your pricing, some BOGO’s really aren’t.
- Don’t buy the BOGO’s unless you really use the product. You want to save money, not spend it. So be frugal.
Food prices are going up. But here are lots of ways — 101 of them — to shave off pennies, dimes and dollars from your food costs. 101 Ways to Stretch Your Food Dollars