Dear Readers,I am about to tell you the story of the “RED HAT SOCIETY” of which I am a proud member. In fact I belong to two chapters and enjoy every minute of the time I spend with my RED HAT sisters. If you are a RED HATTER then you are a sister to any one that belongs and wears a red hat.
I hope you enjoy this and will think about joining, we would love to have you. If there isn’t a RED HAT CHAPTER in your area, then get the word out and start one!! Get on the RED HAT WEBSITE and they will help you.
THE RED HAT SOCIETY
A few years ago a lady named Jenny Joseph wrote a poem called “Warning”. This poem starts off with:
“When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat that doesn’t go, and doesn’t suit”
This poem started a revolution “of sorts”! You now see ladies around town sporting their purple outfits and their, somewhat subdued, but mostly outlandish, red hats.
The founder of the RED HAT SOCIETY, Sue Ann Cooper took the inspiration from the poem which is about embracing life and fun, rather than being held back by age and what everyone expects and old lady to be and do.
It is all about fun and friendship. The fun starts with naming the chapters, and its members. The Raspberry Tarts, The Red Hat Mamas. The Scarlett O’Hatters, Breezy Sassy Sisters, This is just to name a few. The idea quickly spread and now there are chapters all over the world. Look on the web under Red Hat Society and you will understand more of what I am trying to tell you. There are over 41,000 chapters with groups in Canada, Japan, Mexico, etc. Seems all ladies just want to have fun.
To be a “RED HATTER” you must be over 50 years of age. “Over fifty and fabulous” that is what we say about ourselves. But that does not mean you cannot join the RED HATS if you are under fifty. You may join the PINK HATTERS. they are our Ladies in waiting and support group. They dress in Lavender or lilac and wear pink hats. We welcome all ladies to do what we do “LIVE, LOVE, LAUGH” That is the motto of the RED HATS.
We are ladies with “HATTITUDE”!!! It is so much fun for us to don our purple outfits and Red Hats and go to lunch, the movies, picnic on the beach, the zoo or just wherever our hearts decide to go and watch the people watch us. If you went to the park and saw a group of men, the thought would not enter your mind that the Rotary Club had a meeting. But see a group of ladies in purple and Red Hats and you point, laugh and say ”Look the Red Hatters are out today”.
If you are thinking about becoming a member, don’t hesitate! We welcome new members with open arms. However, there are some things you need to know before becoming a member and it is call the “Do’s and Don’ts”.
“THE RED HAT SOCIETY DO’S”
- Do join a chapter if you are looking for a new and exciting way to enjoy life. The women of the RED HAT SOCIETY are known for throwing fabulous parties.
- Do buy a stunning RED HAT and a purple outfit once you are ready to become a RED HATTER. The more elaborate and beautiful the better.
- Do join in the fun if you are under the age of fifty. Join our Sister Group, THE PINK HATTERS and wear a crazy lavender outfit with a pink hat until you reach the wonderful age of FIFTY.
- Do know that when you join the RED HAT SOCIETY, you will make lasting friendship that you will treasure for a lifetime.
- Do remember each chapter of the RED HAT SOCIETY is free to plan any type of activity that they so desire.
“THE RED HAT SOCIETY DON’TS”
- Don’t join a chapter of the RED HATS if you don’t want to meet new and interesting people.
- Don’t bother becoming a member if you don’t plan on having a lot of fun and trying out new and exciting adventures.
- Don’t bother joining if you don’t want to wear the most gorgeous RED HATS and purple outfits you can possible find.
- Don’t join if you are looking for structure and rules, the rule is to not have any rules, just have fun.
- Don’t miss out on an opportunity to become part of the best group in the world where friendly, caring women come together for fun and friendship. Remember the RED HAT motto: LIVE, LOVE, LAUGH.
Dear Readers,I am delighted to see that so many of you have been reading the information that I gave you on the Red Hat Society. Certainly hope you enjoyed it. Now I want to ask you to let me know if you are a Red Hatter. Just go to the form below and let me know who you are. This is only a request and if you are not comfortable with it, then by all means, don’t feel obligated. I just would like to know how many sisters I have out there. The name of your club would be interesting as well; some of the clubs are very creative with their names. I personally belong to two clubs, The Breezy Sassy Sisters and The Gulf Coast Friends Red Hatters. I would also love to post club names and any interesting tidbits you would like to share.
Hoping to hear from a lot of you.
I’m sorry but I do not have any information on clubs that may be close to you, your best bet would be to try and Google “Red Hat Society” for your specific state or region or country.
P.S. I ask you to include your E-Mail address in case I need any clarification on your input.